The people of St lucia

pedestrians in castries

The people of St. Lucia are a mixture of different nationalities. About 85% of them are of pure African origin while the other 15% is made up of British, mixed African, French and East Indian. Among this smaller percentage group are descendants of the Caribs; the original descendants from European and East Indian ancestry. The entire population of St. Lucia is about 170,000 withat least a third of its population living in the city of Castries-Gros Islet and its environs.

 

Although English is the original Language of St. Lucians, a larger percentage of the people speak French Patois. French Patois is as a result of the shared French Creole heritage and a combination of British and French domination during colonial years.  French Patois or Creole is widely used by St.Lucians as a way of communicating by using figurative expressions or phrases. These phrases or proverbswere commonly used by their ancestors and have influenced the lives of the people even today. I found it is surprisingly easy to get to grips with even with my basic understanding of  french.

 

Approximately 90% of the population is Roman Catholic which has been influenced directly by early French settlement on the island. Being a mixture of different ethnic groups, St. Lucians have a diversity of cultural events. They celebrate Catholic feast days, African festivals and all English national holidays

 

The population of approximately 170,000 is evenly distributed between the rural and urban areas. Within the rural communities of St. Lucia, the people use figurative expressions and phrases to tell stories. A typical story telling or folk tales occasion normally takes place in groups during the nights.The “la Veilee,” is an event where mourners come together for the night and are comforted by prayers and the popular folk talesknown as “quick, quack” stories often told by the elderly members of the community. Community living is emphasized by the “coup de main” which basically is that members of a community will come together and take on projects such as the building of timber homes, planting gardens or any other related community activity